Okay, I'm on a comfort food kick these days. I discovered this dish while vacationing in the Smokies following New Years. The moment I got home, I began looking for the recipe. It took me a couple of tries BEFORE I hit on the secret that made the mountain version so wonderful which had the perfect combination of the smooth silkyness of puree, yet had cooked tomato bits for just the right amount of texture. I added just a few red pepper flakes for an additional hint of warmth.
Here is my recipe:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
1 cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes to taste
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 6-ounce can tomato paste, gluten free
1/2 cup dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, finely crumbled
1/4 teaspoon Dried oregano -- crushed
3 cups chicken stock, made from scratch
4 large Roma tomatoes, diced
Here is how I made this wonderful soup:
1. Place olive oil, butter, salt, onion, garlic and red pepper flakes in an 8-quart stockpot over medium-low heat. Sauté the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown.
2. Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup of chicken stock; set aside. Dice Roma tomatoes; set aside.
3. Add canned tomatoes including juices, basil, thyme and oregano. Stir in dissolved corn starch and remainder of chicken stock. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Using a hand food processor, puree soup.
4. Add diced tomatoes; simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until diced tomatoes are tender throughout.
5. Remove from heat; ladle into soup bowls and garnish with a fresh basil leaf, if desired. Enjoy!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
· Items highlighted in yellow should be taken into careful consideration when looking at total food intake for the day.
· Items highlighted in green are indicate a low value when considering total food intake for the day.
Calories per serving: 137.01
Calories From Fat (45%) 61.26
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6.98g 11%
Saturated Fat 2.49g 12%
Cholesterol 7.63mg 3%
Sodium 670.69mg 28%
Potassium 894.61mg 26%
Total Carbohydrates 18.24g 6%
Fiber 5.56g 22%
Protein 4.48g 9%
Copper 0.35mg 18%
Iron 6.45mg 36%
Magnesium 69.51mg 17%
Manganese 0.78mg 39%
Net Carbohydrates 12.68g
Phosphorus 90.69mg 9%
Riboflavin 0.19mg 11%
Selenium 2.28mcg 3%
Thiamin 0.11mg 7%
Vitamin A 1523.81IU 30%
Vitamin B12 0.01mcg <1 p="p">Vitamin B6 0.35mg 18%
Vitamin C 30.82mg 51%
Vitamin D 2.13IU <1 p="p">Vitamin E 3.66mg 37%
Vitamin K 95.23mcg 119%
Zinc 0.88mg 6%
Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne