|Just look at the gorgeous layers of this Mocha Chocolate Icebox Cake!|
Everyone enjoys an elegant dessert at the end of an elegant meal! This one just may be our favorite. The real beauty of this recipe is that the same layering process cane be used in pretty parfait glasses. And, depending upon the size of the glasses, this recipe could serve up to 18 guests. A photo gallery for all the steps is at the bottom of this post.
|Crumbled Peanut Butter Cookies are used for garnish.|
2 cups peanut butter
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/3 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
12 ounces mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup coffee liqueur
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Here is how I make this recipe:
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Position Racks in the upper third of the oven.
2. Place peanut butter, sugar, egg & vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Thoroughly combine using an electric mixer to form a soft, but loose dough. Divide dough into 30 equal portions. Using hands, roll each portion into a ball. Place dough balls on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten each into a 2-inch circle.
3. Bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden around the edges. When done, transfer baking sheet to a cooling rack. Allow cookies to cool completely, approximately 15 minutes.
1. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan; set aside.
2. While cookies cool, pour cream into the bowl of a stand mixer equipment with a whisk attachment. Whip cream first on low and then gradually increase speed until stiff peaks form; set aside.
3. In separate bowl, combine mascarpone, sugar, cocoa powder, instant coffee granules and vanilla. In mixing bowl with whipped cream, turn the mixer to low speed and add the mascarpone mixture, continuing to use the whisk attachment. Continue until mixed. Divide into three equal portions.
4. Place a layer of the peanut butter cookies on the bottom of prepared pan. Cookies should touch, but not lap. Break cookies to fill in the little vacant spots. Spread one-third of filling on top of cookie layer. Repeat process, ending with the last third of filling. Crumble on cookie and sprinkle crumbs on top of cake for garnish.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.
6. To serve, remove sides of pan. Using a long flexible spatula, carefully slide cake onto a cake stand. Raspberries or mint sprigs may be used for additional garnishes.
Servings: 12 Oven Temperature: 350°F
Total Time: 12 hours and 55 minutes
Calories Per Serving: 597
Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne
Photo Gallery of the Steps of Putting Everything Together:
|Addition of coffee liqueur|
|Cocoa, instant coffee granules & vanilla|
|Time to combine the two mixtures|
|Lightly combining the two mixtures results in a marbleized appearance|
The time has come to "build" this delicious icebox cake!
|Line bottom and sides of springform pans with parchment paper BEFORE covering the bottom with the first layer of cookies|
|Repeat layers of cookies and mocha mixture, ending with the last third of the mocha mixture.|