Tired of plain old scrambled eggs & bacon or a bowl of granola for breakfast? Here is a change pace from down Mexico way.
I adore recipes that allow flexibility, and this one does just that. If you prefer sausage or ham or hamburger--great. Don't want any meat at all--fine. Chock this yummy breakfast dish with all of your favs. You can make this one as spicy as you like. My husband sprinkles a dash of Tobasco sauce on his.
Just look how gorgeous this is plated.
Here is my recipe:
8 6-inch Mission Yellow Corn Tortillas
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 green onion, finely chopped (including green part)
1 6-inch sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
4 6-inch sprigs thyme, finely chopped
1 large button mushroom, chopped
1 tablespoon bacon, fried crisp & finely crumbled
1 tablespoon bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup Mexican cheese blend
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
4 pinches red pepper flakes
8 1/4-inch Roma tomato slices
Here is how I made this:
|Everything all chopped & ready!|
2. Melt one tablespoon butter; brush one side of each tortilla very lightly. Set aside.
3. Place chopped onion, rosemary, thyme, mushroom, bacon and bell pepper in medium mixing bowl. Toss to combine; set aside.
4. Place eggs and heavy cream in small bowl. Using a hand blender, mix thoroughly. Set aside.
5. Melt remaining tablespoon of butter in medium skillet. When butter has melted, turn heat to medium-low. Add egg mixture and stir until eggs are thoroughly cooked, but not dry. Remove from heat.
6. Place each of the 8 tortillas butter side down on baking sheet.
|Fluffy scrambled eggs atop Mexican cheese blend nestled against tortilla.|
|Veggie/herb mixture makes striking contrast against the yellow of the eggs.|
8. Using a panini press, grill each about 3 to five minutes or until the outside of quesadilla is crispy.
9. To serve, place 1 tablespoon of sour cream on each. For garnish, sprinkle entire plate with 1/2 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley and one pinch of red pepper flakes. Add couple of slices of Roma tomatoes on the side for color and flavor.
Author's Note: For best results, chop ingredients BEFORE measuring.
Servings: 4 Yield: 4 6-inch quesadilla
Calories Per Serving: 469.48
Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne