Meatballs are easy and quick for an appetizer in minutes, but are so over worked they are boring. Still wanting something I could make ahead of time, freeze and then just thaw, heat and serve, I put on my thinking cap. Plundering through my freezer, I found packages of each of these three meats. With a couple of suggestions from perusing other recipes, this is result of just a little creativity. Here, I topped each meatball with Fresh Buttermilk and Sour Cream Salsa (click here for recipe).
Here is my recipe:
3/4 pound ground turkey
3/4 pound ground lamb
1/2 pound ground sausage
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt or (to taste)
1 tablespoon Fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
36 1/2-inch cubes Asiago cheese
Here is how I put it together:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray a slotted broiler pan or rack with gluten free non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
3. Place ground turkey, lamb and sausage in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with salt and add minced mint leaves. Using a wooden spoon, thoroughly combine. Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, shape into 36 meatballs. Insert 1 cube of Asiago cheese into the center of each meatball, pinching the ends back together.
4. Place meatballs on prepared broiler pan; bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. To serve, place in chafing dish with toothpicks close by.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 52 minutes
Nutrition (per serving): 164 calories, 111 calories from fat, 12.4 g total fat, 48.6 mg cholesterol, 427.7 mg sodium, 50.1 mg potassium, 1 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 12.3 g protein.
Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne