Sunday, November 10, 2013

Creamed Potato Casserole



Cooler weather calls for “stick-to-your-ribs” comfort food. When I ran across this recipe, I knew I had to try it. With a little tweaking and putting my spin on it, I am sharing my Creamed Potato Casserole (recipe follows).
I am a huge fan of creamed, not mashed, potatoes anyway. I shared how I make my creamed potatoes. Please note: if this particular step is replaced with instant potatoes or mashed potatoes, the results will be very different and not as—well—creamy.
Back to the point at hand, this particular dish just hit the spot with me. When you add cheese to creamed potatoes, well what can I say other than “Bring them babies on”. Another thing I especially enjoy about this dish is that it can be assembled, but not cooked, one day prior. Just be sure to allow casserole to come to room temperature before baking.
For those of you concerned about the calories or trying to cut back on casein in your diet, you might want to use low-fat milk or vegetable based milk. The taste, however, will not be the same.
Here are my recipes & how I put these together:
Creamed Potatoes:
4 large red potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups water or enough to cover cubes potatoes
2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
1/4 cup heavy (whipping) cream, at room temperature

1. Place pealed, cubed potatoes in large sauce pan. Cover with water, about  2 to 3 cups. Add butter. Turn heat to medium high; bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low.

2. Boil for 25 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are very soft. Remove from heat and drain. Add room temperature heavy cream; using an electric hand mixer, whip potatoes until creamed.

Casserole:
2 cups creamed potatoes
1/2 cup sour cream at room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, softened to room temperature
1 teaspoon dried chives
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, with parsley
1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/3 cup four cheese blend, room temperature

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a1-quart casserole with gluten free non-stick cooking spray; set aside.

2. Place creamed potatoes, sour cream, cream cheese, chives, and garlic salt in a large mixing bowl. Use a wooden spoon to combine. Spoon into prepared casserole dish.

3. Combine butter and bread crumbs; sprinkle over creamed potato mixture.

4. Place uncooked casserole on aluminum baking sheet; place in preheated oven. Bake 50 to 60 minutes.

5. Remove from oven. Reposition rack to the top and turn oven temperature to broil. Sprinkle with four cheese blend; broil 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese begins to melt and brown lightly. Remove and serve immediately.

Servings: 6

Author’s Note: I keep bread crumbs that I made in my freezer at all times. Just bake a couple of loaves of your favorite bread, place in your food processor and about 30 of seconds later, you will have plenty of bread crumbs on hand for use when you need them. If you are short on time, a loaf of store bought certified gluten free bread will also work—just more expensive.

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 50 minutes

Nutrition (per serving): 406 calories, 216 calories from fat, 24.6 g total fat, 64.5 mg cholesterol, 354 mg sodium, 926.6 mg potassium, 41 g carbohydrates, 2.9 g fiber, 2.8 g sugar, 7.4 g protein.
  
Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne
Copyright: 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.