Friday, May 10, 2013

Seven Layer Salad


Today, when I look in the mirror or down at my hands, I see my mother’s face and her hands. Much of the way I live my life, including my love for turning a house into a home, preparing good meals, having pretty things around me and being active in church are inherited “gifts” from my mom, my two grandmothers, my two great-grandmothers and an aunt who had no children of her own. Needless to say, I probably had more guidance growing up than any one kid really needed or could use. I know now that I was so blessed to have known, loved and been loved by so many wonderful caring women. 

 To be perfectly honest, I haven’t done much in the way of cooking this week. Between a catch in my shoulder rendering me unable to get my hand to my mouth and Rick’s being down for parts, we have basically muddled through with respect to food as best we could. But, I do have one in particular that reminds me of my mother as I know you have memories associated with your Mother’s Days long past.
Seven Layer Salad (recipe follows), a recipe my mother gave me long ago. I don’t know it to her, but I know that it was making the round in my hometown during the late 1970’s. The thing that stands out most in my mind was the overwhelming response I got at a Sunday school party. The bowl went missing from the table; in searching for my bowl, I found my pastor with a spoon finishing off the last little bit while standing behind a door. I would say that is a pretty good review.
The key to this salad is to totally seal the surface following the layer of English peas, cover and refrigerate overnight. This gives the flavors time to meld. A handful of frozen English peas are also pretty on top.
Here is my recipe:
6 cups fancy lettuce, torn & tossed
8 carrots, shredded
1 large onion, chopped
3 cups red cabbage, shredded
6 ounces frozen English peas, divided
1½ cups mayonnaise
1 cup sharp cheddar, grated
6 slices bacon, fried & crumbled
1 tablespoon pimento, drained thoroughly and finely chopped (optional)

Here is how I put this recipe together:
Using a large salad bowl, place each of the first five ingredients in layers, reserving two tablespoons of English peas. Cover with mayonnaise. Cover & refrigerate overnight. To serve, top with cheddar cheese & bacon bits. For an additional pop of color, sprinkle remaining peas and pimento over the top.
Yield: 12 to 14 servings 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.