Tuesday, September 25, 2012

How Nutty Are You for Raw Peanuts?






















I typically leave the scientific, technical information to others even though as Certified Home Economist I am qualified to interpret and dispense the same information. Given the fact that I did just that for 30 years professionally, I decided in retirement I would leave that part of my life behind.

However, when my husband eats copious amounts of raw peanuts this time of the year, I thought perhaps I should investigate. Here is my report:
  1. Peanuts are not nuts; they are legumes, such as lentils, beans, and peas.
  2. One-fourth cup of raw peanuts yields 35 percent of the daily requirement of manganese, 20 percent of tryptophan, folate, copper, niacin, 18 percent of the daily requirement of protein and a host of other nutrients.
  3. One-fourth cup contains only 160 calories.
  4. Raw peanuts are a great source of gluten free nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.