Sunday, September 23, 2012

How Full Is Your Cup?


Of all the lessons I learned from my father, viewing my cup as half-full is one of the most valuable. 
The Internet, the television and the newspapers are filled with negativity ranging from political mud slinging to children being kidnapped or bullied to animals being abused and beyond. I open up Twitter only to see more folks complaining about the woes of their life. Sometimes, my emotions take such a beating I have to take two and three day sabbaticals from all the media outlets and social networking sites.
Those of you who have been following me for while may find this hard to believe, but I really do have down days. When I can hardy get out of bed or get down the stairs because of arthritic pain or my feet going completely numb due to compressed discs in my back when I wear shoes with heels, I sometimes find myself drowning in an abundance of self-pity. I tend to get blue on the anniversary of my parent's deaths and miss them like crazy on their birthdays and holidays. 
I never once heard my dad complain. He always had a smile and a kind word for everyone, often finding a sense of joy in the simplest things of life--sunsets, flowers or my mother's cologne. I was finally was able to read in his Bible some four years after his left us suddenly one Friday morning with a massive heart attack. I was facing a long illness with my mother and truly did not know where to turn. There were notes written in Daddy's distinctive penmanship in the margins along with the scriptures he had highlighted or underlined. All were about hope, love and faith for the future--his testimony for life.
Some things I can’t fix. I can't "un-inherit" my arthritis and repairing the compressed discs in my back would require serious, risky surgery. But, according to what my dad pointed out in his Bible and the way he lived his life, Rick and I have so much for which we can give thanks. Yes, we have problems we can't make right; but what we can do is focus on the many, many riches we have in life. 
We have are in remarkably good health; we have a beautiful home filled with a lifetime of collecting antique furniture and appointments. Our four little rescues drive us crazy, getting us up at three in the morning to go potty. Some folks give visiting guests perhaps some homemade candy or the like; we keep lint brushes on hand. We would not trade those four for a clean, hairless house ever. 
We enjoy experimenting with gluten free recipes, reading and Internet-ing--if there is such a word--together. I am no competition for the iPad I gave Rick for our anniversary, so I figured I might as well join him.
We have terrific friends who watch over Rick's gluten free diet with same vigilance I do, and I am so grateful to have for these wonderful unselfish people in my life. We enjoy entertaining and gather folks from all walks life holiday meals.

Some  battles I know I will not win--my 87 year old uncle who would go up steps two at a time until a couple of years ago. I can't turn the clock back, but I can enjoy the short spurts of  time we get to spend together. I live four hours from him, and he refuses to move into our home with us.
All things considered, life is truly good! Remember that life is only one heartbeat from eternity, so why spend it whining and complaining about what is wrong, when there is so much over which to rejoice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.