Thursday, September 13, 2012

Happy Celiac Awareness Day--Our Way


Several people have asked “What are all of the gluten free-ers doing to celebrate Celiac Awareness Day?”. To be honest, I have been OBE—overcome by events. I had several new recipes to prepare and share. As usual, the puppies got us up way too early which gave us extra time to do those special little things we sometimes just want to do.

And then, I checked my bank statement online as I do most days, only to learn that Direct TV had doubled debited my account when I paid them, AND had upped our bill significantly. The rest of the day is history. We spent way too much time fighting a battle we did not start. But, at the end of the day when they realized we were going shopping for a new service, our bill dropped more than $60 per month for the next 12 months.

Now, just what does this have to do with Celiac Disease? On the surface, not much. But, if you follow the thinking and bookkeeping processes, there is a lot of similarity. One, when you are sick and seeking a diagnosis or solution for feeling so poorly, bring detailed notes including dates, times, what you had to eat and your reactions to your healthcare provide. Two, be persistent. The old saying, “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” is true. Keep asking questions and telling your story until someone will listen.

At the end of your journey, you want to enjoy the wonderful life God meant for you to have even though there may be some limitations along the way. Sometimes, those limitations are actually diamonds in the rough, just waiting to be polished.

In our particular situation, we are so-o-o thankful that gluten is the single offending culprit we have to eliminate. So many have multiple food allergens to confront on a daily basis, and my heart truly goes out to them.

When Rick was diagnosed three years ago as severely gluten intolerant, I was overwhelmed by the complexity of “gluten free” recipes. Even gourmet chefs do not routinely deal with recipes so complicated. So, I began my quest for recipes that were simple, yet would dazzle both the eyes and the taste buds.

If you look through my blog, I think you will agree that we enjoy and embrace a gluten free lifestyle from simple meals for two to extravagant events for dozens. Do our guests know they are enjoying delicious gluten free goodies? Our closest friends know and get in the swing of things when invited to dine at their homes. The others know only if I tell them.

We do not miss anything from our gluten laden past. When I took an oath to Rick “. . . for better or worse, in sickness and in health . . .” I was very serious. And, his “sickness” has opened up a whole new world to us. Call me lazy, but with only two in our family, why cook two separate meals and run the risk of cross contaminating Rick’s food. I have a totally dedicated gluten free kitchen with dedicated gluten free equipment. We are eating better and healthier than we have in years. I say “we” because I too choose to eat gluten free, enjoying every delicious gluten free bite.

So, “Happy Celiac Awareness Day”!

Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne
Copyright: 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.