Friday, August 31, 2012

Are Winn Dixie Gluten Free Products Safe?

Winn-Dixie began following me on Twitter a while back. Then, a few days ago, Carlos from Winn-Dixie sent me an extensive list of THEIR brand products that are gluten free along with an impressive list of their stores that have sections of gluten free products. 

To be perfectly honest, I have not shopped much with Winn-Dixie in recent years. But, if they can deliver the gluten free goods I need, I will most definitely patronize them and encourage others to do the same.

However, BEFORE all of you go storming in to clean off the shelves, I have a couple of questions. First, what do they mean by a "gluten free section"? Walmart has a very small section dedicated for products made specifically gluten free as opposed to places like Whole Foods or Earth Fare which have tons of such throughout their stores--not their restaurants unfortunately.

Second, the list of Winn-Dixie brand products had the following posted at the top of the list: "GLUTEN FREE PRIVATE LABEL PRODUCTS: We are defining gluten free products as products that do not contain wheat, barley, rye, oats, kamut, spelt, triticale or their derivatives."

Okay, here is my question. Even though their private label products do not contain any of the main offenders, are these products manufactured in a dedicated facility? If not, then the risk of cross contamination during the manufacturing process still exists.

I will let you know as soon as I get a few more answers. Better to be safe than sorry!

Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne
Copyright: 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.