Monday, July 2, 2012

Chill Out in Hot Weather

Sweating is against everything I have ever believed! I have seen anyone sweat gracefully, including yours truly. However, as long as I live in the south, looks like oppressive heat is a fact of life. We are fortunate to be able to afford to run all three of our central heat pumps when the weather is in the triple digits like this past week or so.

Working on my weekly column at by kitchen bar!
Having been through a number of hurricanes that took out power for several weeks, my thoughts and prayers go out to those up the east coast with no electricity and really high heat indexes.

I have a few tips for staying cool and three recipes to refresh you while keeping you cool.
I think several of these could go without saying, but for the newbies to the south:




  1. Wear loose, light colored clothing--In this little candid here taken by my sneaky husband, I am wearing a white tank top with a loose fish next cover-up. What you can't see is that I have on a pair of light weight slacks and flip-flops.
  2. Don't go out in the middle of the day to do chores in the yard. Reserve those for early in the morning or late in the evening.
  3. Keep blinds and draperies closed. Florescent bulbs are cooler, just not as pretty, as incandescent.
  4. Stay hydrated; drink lots and lots of water, green tea laced with ginger, mint or rosemary.
  5. To further ensure proper hydration with really cold drinks, substitute artificial flavoring and extracts for the real thing in frozen alcoholic beverages.
  6. Keep cooking, especially if you use gas, to a minimum during the hottest part of the day. Or, simply use some of these really cool recipes I have just for lower internal temperature, making you feel cooler. 
For just a few cooling, refreshing recipes, visit these links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.