Saturday, May 5, 2012

Gluten Free Dry Measures Made Simple

Hey! Listen up! I have a secret for you! Measuring gluten free products is no different than measuring gluten containing flours and products. I'm very serious; I would not kid you. 

Seems that the gluten free community takes a great deal of pride in making something as simple as measuring dry ingredients complicated. I am going to show you through a series of pictures exactly how I measure all of my gluten free dry ingredients. As a side point . . . my kitchen is totally gluten free with all dedicated gluten free equipment.

Ready? Okay; here we go!

 
Step 1
Step 1: Very gently spoon the dry ingredient into the correct measuring cup. Be sure to not tap the side of the measuring cup with the spoon. Why, you might be wondering? Tapping the side of the cup will cause the ingredient to settle, resulting in the amount in the cup being more than the desired amount.

Step 1, Continued
Step 1, Continued: Continue until the cup is filled to just a little be over the top.



Step 1, Continued
Step 2
Step 2: Using a flat spatula (the one I am using here was bought when I was a home economics education major at The University of Montevallo, Montevallo AL), make two to three cuts perpendicular through the dry ingredient, allowing the edge to come to rest on the sides of the cup. DO NOT TAP spatula against the sides of the measuring cup.

Step 3
Step 3: Place spatula across the back of the cup close to where your thumb would be resting. Gently slide spatula to the front of the cup while keeping spatula in contact with sides of the measuring cup. Be sure to have a container or piece of wax paper below the cup to catch the excess.

Now, that cover things that can be measured in measuring cups. What do you use and how do you measure dry ingredients in smaller amounts, say 1 tablespoon or less?


Simple, following the exact same process. Pictured below are snapshots of my measuring Xanthan Gum, which I keep in a small, air tight canister. The only difference--and I do mean the only difference--is that instead of spooning the ingredient into a cup, you simply use the measuring to scoop up the ingredient. Then, using your flat spatula, level the ingredient off.


Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 3, continued



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.