One of the scariest times for me is buying products that you need such as say mustard, but don't want to make for that tablespoon or so that you need for a recipe. There are no ingredients on the list that seems to be a problem, BUT there is no certified gluten free label posted anywhere on the label either. So what do you do?
Here is what I do:
I call the company if there is a number on the panel anywhere and ask the following?
1. Is there gluten in this product? If they cannot answer definitively, put the product back on the shelf and keep shopping.
2. If the answer is no, then ask:
- Was this product produced is a gluten free facility? If the answer is no, then ask:
- Was the product produced on dedicated equipment?
- What steps are taken at the facility to prevent cross contamination?