Looking for something that will really add that special "pop" to your holiday table? Folks, look no more. The brilliant red color of this gorgeous topping simply shouts "Christmas is here!" This slightly sweet topping is ideal with any type of meat, especially pork, but we like to spread it over warm brie and serve with gluten free ginger snaps. Cranberry, Pear and Walnut Conserve is also great over ice cream.
Here is my recipe:
6 cups pears, seeded, cored and diced
1 pound fresh cranberries
4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely shredded orange peel
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped and toasted
Here is how I made this:
1. Place chopped pears and cranberries in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Stir in sugar, water, lemon juice, orange peel, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. Bring to a rolling boil over medium high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
2. Turn temperature to medium and boil gently, uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes or until mixture reaches the sheeting phase when a metal spoon is dipped into the mixture.
3. Pour mixture into 16 4-ounce sterilized jars (jars just removed from boiling water) leaving a 1/4" head room. Place a sterilized lid on each jar immediately and secure with a jar ring. If you do not hear the characteristic "pop" of the lid, place in refrigerator and use within one week.
Yield: 16 quarter pints
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
Serving size: 1/84 of a recipe (1.1 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
· Items highlighted in yellow should be taken into careful consideration when looking at total food intake for the day.
· Items highlighted in green are indicate a low value when considering total food intake for the day.
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet. Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Calories Per Serving: 54.52
Calories From Fat (14%) 7.78
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0.93g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.09g <1 font="font">1>
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 0.47mg <1 font="font">1>
Potassium 23.7mg <1 font="font">1>
Total Carbohydrates 11.99g 4%
Fiber 0.68g 3%
Protein 0.28g <1 font="font">1>
Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne