Friday, October 5, 2012

Is the Rice We Are Eating Safe?

Seeing numerous Tweets and various posts about arsenic levels in the rice we consume, I decided to see what all the fuss was about. It appears that the arsenic levels of rice produced in certain parts of this country are particularly high.

As you well know, those of us eating a gluten free diet consume a lot of rice. Are we consuming a food that can cause cancers such as bladder and lung down the line? The truth is I truly don't know. Apparently, this battle begun some time ago, but it appears that someone or something finely got the attention of the FDA, USDA and the legislature to the point a group of Congressmen has recently proposed legislation limiting the amount of arsenic allowed in rice and rice products.

Here are some on the cites I have visited in an effort to get a better understanding of the problem:

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/09/lawmakers-introduce-bill-to-set-arsenic-limits-for-rice-products/

http://celiac-disease.com/arsenic-in-riceshould-celiacs-be-concerned/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm

What does this mean for us?  From a personal standpoint, I think I will stick with imported rice along with substituting other grains such as Quinoa into some of our favorite dishes. I am going to have to tweak my perfectly balanced flour blend drastically. The bottom line is that I want my family and myself to be safe.

I have provided this information so that you can make an informed decision for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.