Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Our" Chef's Card


Because my husband has other food allergies in addition to gluten, we developed our own card to give to chef's, restaurant managers and servers when we eat in restaurants to ensure his safety. 


We are not shy, and we (aka me) are demanding that his food be prepared safely. After all, if Rick's food is contaminated with allergens, the chef does not get sick, Rick does.

We felt strongly that chefs, restaurant managers, and servers understand that Rick's dietary requirements are medical necessities, not a lifestyle choice or food fad.





Warning! I am Celiac which means I am severely allergic to gluten, a protein found in wheat, oats, barley and rye. I must avoid all foods that contain any of these ingredients. These ingredients, especially wheat, are often hidden in sauces or as ingredients in prepared foods.
I am also severely allergic to sodium tri-polyphospate, a chemical often used on seafood and other meats.
Please ensure that my food does not contain any of these ingredients, and that any utensils and equipment used to prepare my meals, as well as prep surfaces, be thoroughly cleaned prior to use. I cannot eat foods cooked in oil, on a grill previously used to cook bread or breaded items or in water used to boil wheat pasta. And, I cannot eat gluten free food prepared in areas where wheat flour has been used in the preparation of other foods because of the danger of cross contamination.
These are medical requirements, not lifestyle choices. Thank you for your help and support.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.