Friday, September 6, 2013

Chicken Fresca


I have a confession. Sometimes when stumped for something for dinner, I begin by “shopping” in my refrigerator and pantry. What do I have on hand that I can simply throw together, thus taking advantage of fresh veggies I already have on hand.

My Chicken Fresca (recipe follows) is just such a creation. Since I have a dedicated gluten free kitchen, you know this gorgeous dish is naturally gluten free. Just look at the quantity of quality food you are getting for only 260 calories—a really low calorie entrĂ©e in my opinion.

I couple this with my Easy Cheesy Risotto (Click link for recipe). The beauty of this winning combination is while the risotto cooks, you can prep and prepare the Chicken Fresca. Everything comes together at virtually the same time.

Here is my recipe:
2 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
3 each small (2 to 3 inch) tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup fresh baby spinach, washed

Here is how I made this dish:
1. Place chicken breast flat on cutting board and slice crossways into 1/4 inch thick slices, set aside.

2. Place olive oil in cold skillet; add chicken breast slices, stirring to coat. Add Italian seasoning and stir.

3. Place skillet over to medium-high heat. Once chicken begins to sizzle, cook 2 minutes on each side.

4. Add tomatoes, onions, bell pepper and garlic. Reduce heat to medium and continue to stir frequently until onion begins to look translucent, about 4 minutes

5. Add spinach, stir until wilted, remove from heat, salt to taste. Serve immediately.

Servings: 4

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Nutrition (per serving): 260 calories, 97 calories from fat, 11 g total fat, 78.5 mg cholesterol, 177.3 mg sodium, 950.7 mg potassium, 13.2g carbohydrates, 3.4 g fiber, 7.5 g sugar, 28.3 g protein.

Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne
Copyright: 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.