Looking for a gluten free dessert that will truly knock their socks off the next time you entertain? Well, your search is over. With the inspiration from a British vegetarian cookbook, I combined a couple of my own recipes to get the same classy look, but would still be gluten free. There is one tiny problem, however, this baby is not low cal. But, when you are going for the "WOW" effect, you can splurge once in a while. Now, just look at that gorgeous dessert! Pretty? YES!
Now, I bet you are chomping at the bits to find out just how I did this, well Here is my recipe:
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Fit a pastry bag with large star tip; set aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and draw eight 3 1/2- inch circles approximately 1 inch apart; set aside.
3. In small bowl, beat egg whites until thick and frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until egg whites hold stiff peaks. Very slowly add 1/4 cup sugar and salt; continue to beat. Add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder; thoroughly blend.
4. Place egg white mixture into pastry bag. Pipe egg white mixture onto baking sheet by holding the pastry bag fitted with the star tip at a 45 degree angle to the baking sheet. Beginning in the center of each circle, gently squeeze to form a continuous ring of meringue in touching, continuous circles with each larger than the last.
Repeat process to make 8 shells.
5. Place in preheated oven; bake for 2 hours. Turn oven off, and allow meringues to cool completely without opening oven door for an additional 2 hours. Meringue rounds may be stored in an airtight container up to 1 day.
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh raspberries, plus additional for garnish
2 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons confectioner's sugar, plus additional for garnish
1 tablespoon raspberry liqueur
1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
1. Place water, sugar and raspberries in small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves. Smash raspberries with the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat as soon as sugar has melted and raspberries have softened. Set aside.
2. Place softened cream cheese in small mixing bowl. Stir, using an electric mixer, until creamy. Add confectioner's sugar; mix & set aside.
3. Pour whipping cream into a separate small mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add simple raspberry syrup; mix thoroughly. Add whipping cream mixture to cream cheese mixture. Stir gently & place in refrigerator to cool, about 30 to 45 minutes..
4. Place one meringue round in center of dessert plate. Spread with 1/8 of cream cheese mixture; top with second meringue round. Place 1 rounded tablespoon of cream mixture in center.
Garnish with fresh raspberries. Sift entire plate with confectioner's sugar. Repeat to make four desserts; serve immediately.
Oven Temperature: 200°F
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Inactive Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 4 hours and 45 minutes
Calories Per Serving: 746.59
Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne