These are so good--smoky with an extraordinarily rich flavor and lots of meat--they could easily take the place of the entree! Just look how gorgeous these are with just a tad of garnishment.
Here is my recipe:
1 cup bacon, fried crisp & finely crumbled
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup Heinz ketchup
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon White pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili pepper
1/4 cup molasses
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1 can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
16 ounces Bush's Original pork and beans
Parsley for garnish
Here is how I did this:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large skillet, cook bacon, drain and crumble; measure after crumbling and set aside. Place ground beef in same skillet. Break into small clumps with fork. Brown until the meat turns gray; remove from skillet and drain, reserving drippings. Sauté onion and bell pepper in drippings from ground beef; drain.
3. Lightly greased or spray with non-stick cooking spray a 2½-quart baking dish; set aside.
4. Combine remaining ingredients; add crumbled bacon, ground beef, onion and bell pepper. Add remaining ingredients; mix thoroughly. Spoon entire mixture into prepared baking dish.
5. Place baking dish on baking sheet and place in preheated oven. Baked uncovered for 1 hour at 350º. Garnish parsley sprigs, if desired.
Calories Per Serving: 274.85
For smaller families, divide mixture among three 1 quarts baking dishes, cover and freeze until ready to use. To thaw, place in refrigerator overnight. Reduce baking time by one-half for smaller quantities.
Author: Dr. Jacquelyn P. Horne