longer make because of wheat in the Italian bread crumbs. I have a very easy
solution that is safe and gives you back some of those things you gave up on a
gluten free diet.
I make my own Italian bread crumbs that are totally gluten free. I usually make a
double batch ensuring I always have plenty on hand.
1. Begin by tearing an entire loaf of Ener-g bread into pieces. Working in batches, place torn
bread into the bowl of a food processor. Process until very fine.
2. Melt 4-6 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet per batch; toast crumbs until lightly brown,
about 2-3 minutes.
3. Using a spice/nut grinder, grind toasted crumbs until extremely fine. Again, work in small
4. Store unused crumbs in the freezer.
5. When time to use your bread crumbs, simply measure the amount needed and add fresh
dried basil, oregano and thyme to your taste.
Author's Note: I always have "fresh" dried spices on hand. At the end of the growing season,
I trim the tops and hang them to dry. In a month or so, when completely dried. I crush and
then use my spice grinder to pulverize before storing in airtight containers.