Monday, January 2, 2012

Gluten Free Italian Bread Crumbs--A Snap to Make

How many times do you run across a yummy recipe or maybe one that you no

longer make because of wheat in the Italian bread crumbs. I have a very easy 

solution that is safe and gives you back some of those things you gave up on a 

gluten free diet. 

I make my own Italian bread crumbs that are totally gluten free. I usually make a

double batch ensuring I always have plenty on hand.

Here's How:

1. Begin by tearing an entire loaf of Ener-g bread into pieces. Working in batches, place torn

bread into the bowl of a food processor. Process until very fine. 

2. Melt 4-6 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet per batch; toast crumbs until lightly brown,

about 2-3 minutes. 

3. Using a spice/nut grinder, grind toasted crumbs until extremely fine. Again, work in small 

batches.
.

4. Store unused crumbs in the freezer.

5. When time to use your bread crumbs, simply measure the amount needed and add fresh 
dried basil, oregano and thyme to your taste. 

Author's Note: I always have "fresh" dried spices on hand. At the end of the growing season, 

I trim the tops and hang them to dry.  In a month or so, when completely dried. I crush and 

then use my spice grinder to pulverize before storing in airtight containers. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.